Thursday, December 10, 2009

11


I was inspired by the chronicler's style of drawing; Poma's unique font and this unintentional background of the ink of the words on the back page seeping into the image on this page because the ink is so strong. Also, the simplicity of the forms in the drawings; they are quickly sketched, as if Poma wanted to capture everything he saw right at that moment. This is why I used this image as the splash page for the website; it's so representative of Cuzco, this sort of unique empire that disappeared because of Spanish conquest and is gone now, for us to speculate on meticulously. I chose the dark tone of "darksteelgrey" as the predominant color throughout the website because 1) It is visually appealing and 2) because of the color palette of the city of Cuzco. For example:


This color palette is taken from two images of Cuzco, one of the famous and beautiful stone walls within the city, and the other of the terraces. There seems to be a color motif between greys, blues, and greens, so I picked on a darksteelgrey. For the other predominant color tone, I picked grey, as representative of the stones which I could not bear to omit.


This is the website on a small scale. Note the main colors: greys and green-blues. This page, after clicking on the Poma image on the splash page, displays necessary background information on Cuzco and also information on what the class project is about. The grey box on the left details who each of the members of the team, plus instructors and teaching assistant, are. The links above are "About" (which is the page displayed above", the "Projects" page, and a "Contact" page. Also, on the bottom links, there is a "Credit" page in order to give credit and thanks for the images on the website and thanks to those who helped us with our research. The image in the bottom left corner of the box is a small map of ancient Cuzco given to the class by Clark Erickson. Credit will be given for this.

The information on Cuzco on the "About" page I took from Zuidema's talk, because his explanation of Cuzco was detailed and succinct. Credit will be given, but has not yet, as the site is not yet finished. Still to be completed are the Contact and Credits page, and code needs to be fixed up, as well as mistakes must be corrected throughout the website. The idea was also thrown into the class to create a glossary of Spanish and English terms that are required in order to understand the information given in the Power Points. My classmates will keep sending me updated versions of their Power Points so I will put their final products up on the webpage, or if they so wish for it not to be a Power Point, I will make an internal link to their own webpage for their own projects to accommodate their needs.

I coded everything in basic HTML / CSS, which I have known since I was in middle school. It is truly my passion, so being able to write code for a website in a class setting was an exciting challenge. I spent well over 24 hours coding everything in Notepad (which is actually a pretty primitive method, but I don't know any other way. Note: That will be a new goal. Learning a more sophisticated way of creating websites!).

I still have a lot more work to do, and I may help others with some modeling and texturing, so I'll keep this up to date!



No comments:

Post a Comment